Saturday, July 23, 2011

When I'm 74

As part of a complex series of negotiations that I'll discuss in more detail further down the line, I've proposed a lease amendment that would allow me two six-year options for renewal of the Dr. No's lease--one at the end of 2015, when the current lease expires, and the other at the end of 2021, when the first option would expire. Can't say for sure if those negotiations will come to fruition or not, but it was a bit sobering to realize that, if they do, I'm talking about lease options that will continue past my 74th birthday.

First off, it's hard to think of myself as 74 years old--although to be honest, I rarely think of myself as being 57 right now. And it's even more startling to realize that, if the lease amendment goes through and I choose to take advantage of those options, I will have been a comic book reader/fan for seventy years at that time (got my first comic when I was four years old... oh, I was three months away from five at the time, but that's still four...).

It's also a bit off-putting to be making any sort of plans that will run through the time I'm 74. I've learned first-hand that life has an interesting way of re-mapping your plans for the future, so who knows what might happen between now and 2027.

Even so, the fact that I'm even negotiating something that involves me and 74 years old is proving a bit difficult for me to fully accept...

No comments: