Friday, February 24, 2006

Make a Joyful Noise...

This week's instant-gratification purchase: the M-Audio Fast Track 5200 USB Audio Interface. That's a fancy way of saying "a little box that lets me hook up a mike and my guitar and my keyboard and other stuff to my Mac so that if I want to I can record them and see how really bad I sound." The great thing about electronics, though, is that if you play with really bad-sounding stuff enough, you make it sound like extremely over-produced really bad-sounding stuff.

So have I played with it yet? Of course not--I hope to get a chance to do that this weekend. It just arrived today, and I knew that if I got distracted with it, I'd never get back to work on Comic Shop News, and I'm right in the middle of reworking the data for the CSN checklist. Soon, though!...

2 comments:

Doug G said...

Mr.B-
I just got one of these myself. It's GREAT. Me and my friend originally bought the M-Audio MobilePre USB, thinking it was a higher end version of the Fast Track. No such luck. It was a NIGHTMARE. We spent 6 hours dealing with input problems and latency issues.

I took it back, swapped for the Fast Track and have already started demoing songs. We're multitracking in Sony ACID Music Studio, since I don't have a Mac for Garageband here at home.

You will LOVE it.

cliff said...

Very good news--I like the "instant gratification" thing, so I get frustrated when devices interfere with my ability to accomplish what I bought them for. Sounds like the Mobile Pre-USB would have had me bouncing it off the floor in an hour or so!

Can't wait to get to play with it now!