Thursday, June 26, 2008

Finding Finding Amanda

Turned on the TV when I got home and discovered that my DirecTV DVR had recorded a film called Finding Amanda. Didn't remember it at first, then I realized what it was. Mark Cuban's HDNet periodically airs feature films a few days before they open in theaters; this is one of them, a dark comedy with Matthew Broderick, Maura Tierney, and Brittany Snow. I like Matthew Broderick okay, have little patience for Maura Tierney, but Brittany Snow... now here's one of the most endearing young actresses in years. She was the bright spot in American Dreams, a mixed-quality series about life in the early 1960s; like Sandra Bullock in her early years, she has an engaging appeal that makes you like her almost instantly.

The film? Adequate but nothing great; its saving grace is Snow's ability to bring charm to a role that in otherwise would have been largely unlikeable.

And I gotta admit, I do like this idea of showing movies in HD a few days before they show up in theaters. Thanks, Mr. Cuban!

No comments: