Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Best-Laid Plans...

...aft gang a'gley and all that.

Normally, I'd be on the road to the FedEx Freight hub by now to pick up this week's shipments of comics. Alas, that journey has been postponed for about six hours. I suspected there was trouble when I logged into the FedEx Freight site and saw that my shipment had left Memphis at 11pm yesterday and at 5am this morning. A phone call verified that the report was correct: our shipment left last night, but the truck broke down about an hour and a half out of Memphis and had to be towed back (not sure why they didn't just dispatch another truck and transfer the trailer over to the new truck rather than towing it all the way back to Memphis, but I'm not the guy driving those trucks, so there's a lot about freight hauling I don't know). By the time all was done, the truck didn't pull out the second time until 5 this morning, so we shouldn't expect our shipment any earlier than 2 this afternoon.

Every now and then, you need a schedule shake-up just to break the routine...

No comments: