Friday, March 28, 2008

Feeling Flaky

Ever find yourself really wanting something, even though you don't have the slightest idea what motivated the desire?

Tonight, it's coconut cake.

I love coconut cake. I love pretty much anything coconut, for that matter... but when it comes to cake, there is nothing better than coconut. And for some reason, tonight I can almost taste that dense, rich, whice-icing-overloaded-with-coconut cake that Mom used to make for me.

It's been a little over six and half years since I had coconut cake... that's the last time that Mom made one for me. But tonight, I can remember the texture, the taste, the touch of sugary crispness to that icing, the faintest hint of graininess to the sugared coconut, the extra moistness of the bottom layer of the cake as the dense sweetness settled...

Coconut and me, we go way back...

No comments: