Thursday, September 06, 2007

Stew Just a Little Longer

Okay, I know I said I'd transcribe Mom's Irish Stew recipe today... but between a busy day at the store (we had to cram Tuesday and Wednesday's workload into a single day, which offers little down-time), a relaxing meal with my best friends at El Rodeo, and some Comic Shop News work at the computer, the evening was gone before I knew it. So the recipe is forthcoming tomorrow...

I will add that Mom's Irish stew holds a particularly dear place in my heart; the last full day I spent with Mom and Dad when Mom was healthy enough to enjoy a day at the house was on December 5th, 2002. On that day, I spent most of the morning transferring Mom and Dad's scrapbook of photos to digital files to prepare the slide show that I intended to be one of Mom's Christmas gifts (thankfully, I finished it in time to show it to her on December 12th, just three days before she left us). For lunch, we had Mom's amazing Irish stew... but it was Dad, not Mom, who prepared it. Mom had meticulously coached Dad over a period of months until he knew how to prepare several of her recipes; that day's Irish stew was entirely Dad's doing, under Mom's tutelage and supervision, and it tasted just like the stew Mom had made for us so many times before. I could tell how pleased she was that Dad had perfected her recipe; tomorrow, I'll share that same recipe so that those of you who fondly remember her stew (and those of you who've heard me talk about it but have never been lucky enough to sample it) can make it for yourself.

But for now, I bid you good night...

No comments: