Monday, May 26, 2008

Wednesday Is Tuesday This Week

Today is another Monday holiday (Memorial Day, for those of you who don't keep up with US holidays), and that means that my usually-routine week is once again thrown off by 24 hours.

Most weeks of the year, Brett and I drive to the FedEx Freight warehouse in Conley, GA, on Tuesday morning to pick up and begin processing our comics shipment. We do the counts, the bar codes, etc., and get everything prepared to go on sale when we open on Wednesday.

However, Monday holidays push everything back by one day. My Tuesday becomes a sort of "holding pattern" day; my normal Tuesday routines are pushed back to Wednesday; the comics that would normally go on sale on Wednesday are held back until Thursday; and for some unexplained reason, about 10% of the money that we would normally take in during the week just seems to vanish as our customer spend a portion of their entertainment budget on something else because we didn't have new comics on the day they thought we should have new comics.

I used to get much more bothered by this than I do now. Rather than letting it bother me, I just try to adjust orders accordingly and hope this will be the Monday-holiday-week that breaks the pattern.

The oddest part of all this is trying to figure out what to do with my Tuesday. Since the week is so regimented normally, having an extra day with no assigned duties seems almost surreal.

No comments: