Thursday, January 03, 2008

Philosophically, Trying...

2008 is underway, and I'm optimistic that it'll be a good year. Things are already showing promise for some of my friends and family, and that's good; I am hoping to make it a more focused, fulfilling year for me as well.

I can't say that I'm unhappy with the way that my life has gone--although unappy things have happened during the past year, I still come away feeling positive overall. I think a lot of that comes from my situation almost eight years ago; there's something about dying, even if it's for only a few moments, that makes it much easier to find happiness in each extra day.

At the same time, I feel like I spent a lot of time this year reacting to things rather than directing my life. I'm hoping I can change that in the upcoming year; while I enjoy much of the routine in my life, I'd like to enjoy more freedom to break from that routine if I feel so motivated. That means making a few changes--a bit less time in the store, more time devoted to new things.

Maybe I'm a little restless. Maybe I'm trying to avoid falling into the trap that Dad fell into in the last few years, when his world began to shrink a little more each yeaer, shutting out people who knew him and loved him and admired him.

Can't say for sure that things will change; we'll see over the next few months...

And yes, this has been vague--because in large part I'm feeling sort of vague right now. I feel like I'm in transition, and I'm curious to see where that takes me...

No comments: