Sunday, September 09, 2018

Life in Four Colors Sidebar - Believe It Or Not...

I love comics. That's no secret. I've owned tens of thousands of comics in my lifetime.

What may be surprising, though, is what I have not owned. Here are a few comics I've never owned:

1 - Any Showcase issues featuring the Flash. Sometimes that even surprises me, considering how much I love the Flash and how long I've been collecting the series, but at no time has my collection ever included Showcase #s 4, 8, 13, or 14.

2 - EC Comics. I've owned the EC reprint paperbacks of the 1960s, I've owned Russ Cochran's EC Library, I've owned Gemstone reprints, I've owned EC Archives--but I've never owned even one original EC Comic.

3 - Any Captain America comic prior to his 1960s return. Never owned a Golden Age Captain America, never owned a 1950s comic starring Captain America.

4 - 2000 AD. My friend and CSN partner Ward Batty once had a massive collection of these, but I never have picked up even  single issue of the long-running British comic.

5 - Bugs Bunny. I have never felt the slightest inclination to buy a Bugs Bunny comic. I've always thought that it was the verbal humor and the snappy patter that made Bugs work, and I couldn't see how that would translate to comics.

(Note: This does not mean that my comic shop, Dr. No's, hasn't owned copies of these for resale purposes. I have just never owned any of these books personally. Some, like the Showcase books or the Golden Age Caps, I'd love to have. Others, I still have no real interest in.)

No comments: