Sunday, September 30, 2018

Gray Rocks

Erin Gray once came to my house and gave me a piece of the moon. 

Yeah, I know it sounds weird, but it's true! Gray is most fondly remembered for her role as Wilma Deering on the Buck Rogers TV series. In the early 80s, she also made a film called Six Pack, which starred Kenny Rogers and was filmed in part in Kennesaw, where we lived at the time. In addition, she had participated in some sort of NASA educational outreach program; NASA enlisted her because of her role in a popular SF film that involves space travel. Well, my good friend Wes McCoy, who taught with me at North Cobb High School, was also involved in NASA's educational outreach program (I'm sure there's a very specific name for the program, but I don't recall what it was). 

Wes was supposed to get a small lucite-encased piece of moon rock to use in a presentation he was making some where; Erin has the sample he needed because she had used it in a prior presentation somewhere, and they had asked her to take it to Kennesaw so that Wes could get it there. Well, it turned out that Wes wasn't going to be in town at that time, so he asked if it would be possible for someone to leave this small piece of the moon with me so that I could then give it to him when he got back into town. I presumed that some low-level second assistant to the third assistant to the director would bring it by my house; imagine my surprise when Erin Gray showed up at my door with the lucite-encased moon rock! The conversation was amiable but brief, and she left the rock with me. 

As an incident, it's pretty mundane--but the line "Erin Gray once came to my house and gave me a piece of the moon" has a pretty good ring, doesn't it? (And I'm the only person I know who had a piece of the moon in his house for several days!)

No comments: