Sunday, November 18, 2012

Vinyl Update

My quest for vinyl recordings has continued; I've discovered that it's not that difficult to find LPs that I want, although it's not always as easy to find affordable copies of specific LPs. I've made trips to both Book Nooks (Marietta and Decatur) and have found very little at either from my want list, but I nevertheless found a number of records that I didn't realize I wanted until I saw them there.

Here are the albums I am diligently seeking at this point:

Led Zeppelin: Physical Graffiti, Presence
Badfinger: Straight Up (in near-perfect condition - have a VG- copy)
Cream - Best of, D'Israeli Gears, Fresh Cream
Buckingham/Nicks - First (and only) album, self-titled
Jesus Christ Superstar - (brown fold-out cover only--and I want this one only in VG++ or better, since I have a VG copy)
Soundtrack -  2001: A Space Odyssey (original cover)
Soundtrack - On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Klaatu -  Hope, Sir Army Suit
Paul Simon - Paul Simon (self-titled first solo album), There Goes Rhyming Simon, Hearts and Bones
Rare Earth - Get Ready
Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass - Whipped Cream & Other Delights, Christmas Album
Billy Joel - The Stranger
Electric Light Orchestra: Eldorado, Face the Music, A New World Record

The best finds of the past week? Near-perfect copies of the two Christmas albums I played to the point of virtual destruction in my childhood: Christmas With the Chipmunks and The Original: Gene Autry Sings Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Other Christmas Favorites. Even more specifically, I wanted these on the specific labels that I had as a child--and in the case of the Gene Autry album, that meant I needed it to be in mono on the black Grand Prix label with the pre-zip-code office address. Believe it or not, it took me less than two weeks to find excellent copies of both, and for only about $5 each. I have added more than two dozen holiday albums to my collection, but these are the gems of my Christmas acquisitions: I loved these albums as a child and played them over and over and over again until my parents undoubtedly regretted ever buying them for me. Now I have new copies that should last me for the rest of my life, since I am much better at taking care of vinyl now than I was back then.

1 comment:

Pam said...

I don't have but one of the ones you mentioned. I have the Gene Autry Sings Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Other Christmas Favorites. Now if you were looking for the Osmond Brothers or Bobby Sherman (LOL) I could probably help you out! But I do have some of my Dad's 45's......In the Jailhouse Now, Sixteen Tons....Need to purchase a turntable for the computer.