Sunday, November 26, 2006

Deaths Come in Threes

I wrote about this before, and lo and behold if it didn't work out just that way.

Earlier this week, Jerry Bails died. Were it not for Jerry and his work that led to the creation of comics fandom and comics fanzines, I doubt that I'd own a comic shop or be doing Comic Shop News today.

Today came the news that Dave Cockrum died. Dave hasn't been active in comics for a while, but there was a time when he was a major force in the industry, before his health woes forced him to move to the sidelines. I saw Cockrum at Heroes Con and he seemed to be struggling; I knew that life had dealt him a bad hand, but I hadn't realized his problems had escalated in severity to this extent.

Talking about "death coming in threes" seems to, in some way, diminish the significance of these deaths, and that's not my intent. Of course, I sincerely hope the truism doesn't hold true...

No comments: