Saturday, March 19, 2016

Writer's Math

So far, I've written about 100,000 words of a 70,000 word novel. Still have about 10,000 words to go.

No, it's not a 110,000 word novel. I think it's still going to wrap up at 70,000  words, give or take a couple of thousand.

So where do all those extra words come from?

I took the scenic route, I guess. Even with an outline in front of me, I occasionally wander off course. I get ideas that I think will improve the story. Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't.

Several times, I've written a few thousand words and realized that I didn't like where this scene was going, or I didn't like what this was doing to the character... or I just didn't think any of those words really belonged in the book. So they went away. One entire 7,000 word sequence that sounded so good in my head was lifeless and static on the screen.

I intend to finish those last 10,000 or so words by the end of March. After that, I already know at least five things that have to be worked into the first segment of the book to foreshadow things that happen at the end of the book.

But at least the end is in sight.
 

No comments: