Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Re-Meeting the Beatles...

Just in case all that talk of American Beatles albums like Something New might lead some to doubt my qualifications as a Beatles fan: I should add (to satisfy the Beatles purists) that I also have the British mixes in two formats: I have a complete set of the Japanese red vinyl mono reissues from the early 1980s, as well as the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Boxed Set of the UK Beatles albums (that's a picture of the MFSL box to the left of this paragraph). So I can enjoy the Beatles as originally recorded as well as re-experiencing them on vinyl the way I first heard them in the early and mid-1960s.

I will also confess that I am still not much of a mono fan. Yes, I know all the stories about the laborious hours the Beatles and George Martin spent mixing the albums for mono, and how the stereo mixes of those albums were produced as afterthoughts. Doesn't matter to me: I'm a child of the stereo generation, and I'll always prefer that to the mono mixes.  Don't try to convince me I'm wrong--it's impossible...

No comments: