Sunday, September 12, 2010

Giving in to my Plebian Pizza Tastes

I've mentioned from time to time that I have fairly plebian tastes (probably developed during my childhood--I think we often grow to like those foods that remind us of our favorites from the first sixteen years of our lives). I'm about to demonstrate that once again.

Susan and I succumbed to the urge to sample a Pizza Hut Big Italy pizza--and I enjoyed it quite a bit!

We'd barely finished our first piece when we both remarked that the pizza reminded us of the Village Inn pizza we used to enjoy when we were dating and when we were newlyweds. The crust was thin but not cracker-like in texture; the sauce was well seeasoned and thick (a necessity on a thin crust pizza, or else it'll soak right through), the cheese was flavorful but not too heavy, and the sausage, pepperoni, and mushroom were savory and plentiful.

Over the years, we've moved on to a lot of other pizzas, from the multi-storied construction of the Upper Crust (oh, how I wish that Galleria restaurant was still there!) and Chicago's (the best pizza restaurant in the old Parkaire Mall area) to the sizeable, loaded Mellow Mushroom to the hearty, heavy-crusted Everybody's to the spicy, piquant, full-flavored Rosa's to the distinctive, refreshing Bellacino's... and none of those pizzas are thin crust. I didn't even know if I would enjoy a thin crust pizza any longer--but I found it to be a refreshing change to the heavier pizzas that we normally prefer.

Don't look for this one to last for too long--at $12 for a large three-ingredient pizza, I look for Pizza Hut to retire it or modify it very soon. I think we'll probably try it another time or two before it goes away, though--where else can we get a full pizza meal and culinary nostalgia for such a low price?

No comments: