Monday, July 10, 2006

The Heart of the Matter

Tomorrow is my six-month cardiac checkup; I'm not expecting anything out of the ordinary, but that doesn't stop me from feeling a little bit apprehensive. As much as I like Dr. Mike, my cardiologist and long-time friend, I still get a little nervous; there are always those dark back-of-the-mind worries that he'll come in and say something like, "Remember all those repairs we did back in 2000? Well, they didn't last..."

Before I brood too much and stay awake all night, I'll at least go through the good things that came out of my heart attack and subsequent surgery:

(1) I lost 70 pounds and have kept it off (well, all but about five pounds that occasionally come back to visit until I send them packing again)
(2) I started exercising faithfully and found out that I really like it
(3) I began eating a lot of Caribbean grilled salmon and grilled tuna steaks and ended up liking both more than beef, which I've virtually eliminated from my diet
(4) I reconnected with the great outdoors, thanks to my twice-a-day-minimum walks
(5) After being forced to retire, I discovered that it's not absolutely necessary that I get up at 5:24 a.m. after all
(6) I got to know Lucky, Sable, Rudy, Sadie, Scarlett, Sandy, Toby, Laurel, Hardy, Chelsea, Chester, and the rest of the dogs who expect some attention every time I walk past their houses (I like dogs, although I don't like owning dogs, if that makes any sense)
(7) I shaved my beard off and decided that, for the first time in years, I liked what was under it enough that I kept it shaved off this time

I know there are other things I should add to that list, but it's late and I actually do have to get up early tomorrow morning (have to exercise and feed cats prior to my 9 a.m. appointment)...

No comments: